March 1, 2009

Snow, Ice & Everything Nice

Winter Storm 2009 Continues!

I don't have TV hooked up, but I'm sure they're broadcasting headlines like that all over the news channels. As everyone starts to panic, and they all rush out to the grocery store to buy lots of food items that would be terrible in a real emergency (because most of them will require cooking before they can be eaten), I sit here at my computer and sip down my third or fourth cup of hot chocolate for the day. Monica just called me from somewhere on I-85. Traffic is moving in both lanes at about 10mph, which means that there is probably a wreck somewhere ahead. But at least everyone ELSE is now driving slowly, so even though it's going to take her forever to get home, at least she'll be safer.

After an hour or so of large, fluffy-flaked snow, it's once again switched back to a combination of tiny flakes and ice pellets, mixing in with the layers of water, ice, and snow which already cover the ground. It could get nasty tonight, when the temperatures drop into the low 20s.

Our neighbor was just outside in coat and gloves, knocking the snow from the fir trees that form a boundary between our yards. I thought they looked quite nice, all covered in snow, but he probably had the right idea...knocking the snow off the boughs before it gets to heavy or freezes and then snaps all the limbs off. Still, he's ruined my nice wintry landscape scene.

I've been taking pictures throughout the day, ever since the snow and sleet started, but because none of the "snowy landscape" shots I've taken really look that exciting, I've decided to show you some of the stylized pictures I've taken of some local snow-capped flora. (I tried for some fauna, but Shadow wouldn't hold still!) Enjoy.







No comments: