March 7, 2009

Night Of The Wolf

Okay, so in my never ending quest to find interesting distractions against the onset of boredom, I have decided to try my hand at writing something "real" again, namely a short novel. I've had various movie and book ideas floating around in my head for the past several years, but I haven't taken the opportunity to try and flesh any of them out because most of the things that seem rather cool in my head, turn out to be rather lame in reality. For instance, I have a pseudo-zombie movie that I've been piecing together in my mind for years, and if I could write it and film it like I envision it in my imagination, it could be pretty cool (as zombie movies go anyway.) But I have the feeling that should I actually try to MAKE that movie, it would suck. (Hey, I don't pull punches here.)

One of the books I have been thinking about lately, though, might actually have the chance of going somewhere, IF I can keep my mental focus on it long enough and don't get bored after I've written a few chapters, which usually tends to happen when I try to write anything longer than a poem or short story (or even a blog post at times.) The one saving grace this time around is that THIS book is based loosely on my life. (I know, I can hear the groans and pathetic sighs already. "Why would we want to read about YOUR life? I mean you're talking about writing this book to help fend of boredom, so how interesting can your life really BE, and why would I want to waste my time reading about it?")

Hence the "loosely based on my life" bit. Yes, my life as most of you know it IS rather boring, but few of you know the back history of my life; the sordid little details that make me what I am. And to those details I'm going to add a mythology that I've been spinning over the past couple weeks, in the hope that I can write a book that not only will be of interest to any potential readers, but will be interesting enough to ME that I will actually keep writing it.

So that's the plan. I'm going to start out with a traditional book format, but it might evolve (or maybe devolve would be more accurate) into Web based episodes such as The Guild or The Legend of Neil (only much darker.) It might also turn into a weekly or monthly podcast, if I'm not in the mood to type. The idea though is to write an initial book in such a way that it can spawn a series. Then I can become the next J.K. Rowling (only male, and having lost my British accent) and make tons of money doing something I enjoy.

Then will come the toy line, the full-feature length movies, soundtracks from and inspired by the books I've written...and the only thing I'll have to do is tour the world promoting it all, and then reap the benefits of all my hard work. That's the idea anyway. I have to write the bloody thing first! *sigh*

So that's the plan. A book, loosely based on my life and the circumstances of my birth and how I came to be in my present situation, embellished with "facts" that COULD have happened (probably in an alternate universe), and all set in the present and not too distant future (2012 is going to play a big role here.)

I MAY post snippets of the book on my blog from time to time, so keep an eye out for them. I also need to write a few letters of request to several bands, because I want to quote a couple lines from some of their songs at the start of some of the chapters. Rush and Metalica spring to mind, and I already have a song from each of them that I'd like to use a couple lines from, so I'll have to see about getting permission to do so. I don't think Rush will be a problem, because they are cool guys. Metalica on the other hand, who knows. They seem cool, but they're also REALLY uptight about their music, so who knows how that will go.

At any rate, I'll keep you all posted as to any progress I make with getting permission from the bands, to actually writing the book that will change the world (my world anyway!) Stay tuned for more details as they become available. Peace.

No comments: