March 14, 2009

Rain & Gloom Randomness

Well, the weather today is somewhat miserable, especially after the nice (albeit HOT) weather we've had over the past several days. We're in for at least 3 days of rain by the looks of it, and I have to keep reminding myself that it IS in fact still winter, if only for another week or so.


------------------------------------------------------


Yesterday was a bit of an oddity. It was the 2nd Friday the 13th within as many months. I don't remember a time in my life when we had two consecutive months that had a Friday the 13th in them (short of when the movies where out in theaters. *g*) It was kind of odd. But I like Fridays of the 13th variety, so it's all good.


------------------------------------------------------


I'm looking for a new job, preferably one closer to home that pays better.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Ahem. Sorry about that. "Waiter, reality check, please!"


Seriously though, the time is coming when my immediate supervisor is going to leave to have her baby, and although I've applied to take over the position (something which should be simple, considering I'd been doing it for about 2 years before we moved), I'm not sure how long I'd want to keep the job. I mean, the schedule is nice, especially for a retail position, but there's a good chance I'll be earning less than when I STARTED doing the job; when I was new and untrained, with no experience in running a commercial print center. I learned as I went though, and because I had all the basic software and computer knowledge, the only thing I really had to pick up was all the administrative tasks that were involved. But to be doing the same job (with more responsibility this time, and having had 2 years in the position, with a raise included during that time) for quite possibly LESS than what I started at...well, that's just not going to cut it.


So I'm keeping my eyes out for something new, preferably NOT in retail. I'm hoping to be called upon to do some computer training for some of these baby boomers who have recently been displace from lifelong positions with companies such as GM, who have closed some of their factories and stranded hundreds, if not thousands of individuals without jobs, and without a clear concept of what it takes to function in the 21st century job market.


For example, I was talking with a friend of mine on Facebook the other night (who is also currently unemployed, although not due to the previously mentioned factory closings.) She had to visit the unemployment office the other day, and while she was there she had a man beside her who HAD lost his job due to a GM plant closing; a job which he'd obviously had for most of his life. He was an older gentleman, probably someone who'd worked on the assembly line, or something similar, during his time with GM. That was all he knew, and he had never had to worry too much about learning anything new for many years. Now, with the close of the factory, and the loss of his lifelong job, he was being thrust forcefully into the computer age. Someone was actually having to teach him how to use a computer mouse!


That is both depressing and encouraging, because it is that very group of people that I hope to reach out to, and offer the computer training that they're going to be in desperate need of. Of course, with the loss of their jobs, they might not be able to PAY me much, but I'm sure we can work something out. :-)


So that's the current state of affairs. Unemployment is on the rise, but it could possibly benefit those of us who are still employed, but underpaid. Perhaps we can be of service to the older generation of displaced baby boomers. And perhaps they in turn, in addition to providing us with much needed extra income, can teach us to be more appreciative of what have, and how to get by with what we can get. Or something like that. That sentence made a lot more sense in my head, as do many things.


Anyway, that's all I've got to say about that. Hopefully our economy will take a swing northward, and things will start to improve. In the meantime, if anyone wants to know how to use a computer (or even a mouse), you know where to find me! Peace.

No comments: