April 1, 2009

Expansion And Clarification

For those of you who may have been following my Twitter stream as of late (yeah, right), I feel a word or two of explanation is necessary.

As many of you know, I was the ImPress Supervisor at the Acworth OfficeMax, but when I transferred up here to the Athens store, I dropped back to a regular Associate, because this store already had an ImPress Supervisor - Stacey. Anyway, Stacey was in her first few months of pregnancy when I started, and it was made clear to me that she would be leaving, at least for a few months of maternity leave, come spring of 2009. At that time, I would probably assume the role of Supervisor at the Athens store, since I was already trained and had been doing that job for nearly 2 years in Acworth.

Stacey's due date for her baby is May 23rd, but a month or so ago she told me that regardless of when the baby came, May 8th was going to be her last day working at OfficeMax, and that she wouldn't be returning. She also said that she expected the baby to come earlier than predicted, and that she might leave at an earlier date. We also discussed the fact that she could be put on bed rest until the baby was due (especially with all the problems she's been having lately.) But we all figured it would be another 3-4 weeks before anything changed. So I went ahead and applied for the ImPress Supervisor position, thinking that I'd have another month or so to work as an Associate. Well, all of that changed today (or yesterday/last month now, since it's after midnight, and it's the 1st of April now. White Rabbits x3.)

Stacey wandered back to the ImPress department this afternoon, while I was getting ready to leave, and the first words out of her mouth were "I'm done." She informed me that the doctor had put her on "minimal activity bed rest", and that she wouldn't be coming back to work at OfficeMax any more; she was officially finished.

And just like that, everything changed. She JUST missed the store manager, who had apparently walked out the door minutes before she got there, but she said she was going to give him a call on his cell phone and let him know that her situation had changed drastically. I'm not sure how he's going to take it exactly, because he too thought that he had a few more weeks to prepare.

So the next week or so is going to be rather confusing and chaotic. They have me coming in an hour early tomorrow, because the guy who is covering Stacey's shift has to leave at 2 PM, and I wasn't scheduled to arrive until 3PM. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the next few days are going to hold for me. I close tomorrow, and I'm scheduled to have Thursday off. Then I close again on Friday, and SHOULD actually get the whole weekend off (at least that's how it probably would have turned out before Stacey left. Now, I'm not sure.) On the plus side of things (once they settle down anyway), if they DO make me the ImPress Supervisor, I should be back to a Monday-Friday schedule, 8AM - 3 or 4PM, and I should at least get some kind of a "raise." I most likely won't be earning what I was earning at Acworth, but I should be earning more than I am now. We'll just have to wait and see how things go.

Anyway, that's the situation at the moment. The next week or so is probably going to be crazy at work, as they try to fill the void that's been left from the loss of one of the ImPress staff. I'll keep you all posted as things develop, and I learn more. :-)

No comments: