November 16, 2008

This Means War!

Okay, so living in the country, one comes to expect a certain amount of "bug problems." We have had small ants wandering all over the place, and while it has really unnerved Monica, it's something I more or less accepted as part of the "country life." That was until tonight.

I have an extreme love of JJs peach pies (yes they're not that good for you, but they're delicious!) I purchased a small stock of peach, cherry, and chocolate pies the other night at Belle's, and have been eating one here and there throughout the week. Tonight I decided to eat the last one, a peach pie, my favorite. I grabbed it out of the closet, walked into the office and sat down at the computer, intending to eat the pie while I surfed the Web. No sooner had I opened the end of the box up than I felt a funny sensation on my fingers. Looking down, I saw dozens of ants pouring out of the box, swarming all over my delicious peach pie! Running into the kitchen quickly, I tossed the pie, still in the box, into the sink and turned the water on, letting it wash over the pie and the ants inside the cardboard box.

This was the first thing that annoyed me, because I'd really been looking forward to that peach pie (simple pleasures are the best), and now it was ruined. But then I decided to look into the cupboard where the pie had been stored. I was greeted by the site of probably hundreds of ants, crawling all over the place, back and forth!

Well, I went nuts. I grabbed a natural insect repellent we have here at the house, and started spraying all the ants that I could see. It's either killed them instantly, or stunned them beyond their control, because most of them just stopped moving if they came into contact with the spray. After spraying everything down (and making the house smell all lemon citrus), I jumped online to look for some natural ant deterrents and killers. I found all sorts of recommendations, and I have employed most of them (springs of salt or black pepper; bay leaves; a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water...you name it, I've used it. Now I need to get some mint from Clare to plant around the perimeter of the house too, because apparently ants don't like mint

So now I'll have to see if any of these work, and I'll have to go to the store and buy some new peach pies. :( I love the country, and everything that comes with country life, but these ants have GOT to go! *sigh*

1 comment:

clare adams said...

i feel your pain...we get them too...it seems like once it rains though they disappear...hmmm...i think they are coming in for moisture...they are probably like "hey, we have lived her efor almost 2 years alone...who the heck are you??"