December 3, 2008

A Milky Cup Of Tea

Okay, after my last post, I thought I'd reign things back in a bit, and pause for a moment to reflect on life.

As I sit here at my computer, sipping from a rapidly cooling cup of milky hot tea (made from tea bags straight from M&S), I can't help but think about Mum, Grandma & Grandad, Dave Sharpe, and all of the other wonderful Brits that we've lost over the years. Grandad and I always used to enjoy a nice hot cup of milky tea and a few biscuits, and I vividly remember those times when we would sit in front of the teli in those big green chairs, drinking our tea and eating our biscuits, as we watched some show or other on one of the 4 TV channels they had available (they didn't have SKY TV (satellite) or anything like that, so there was BBC1, BBC2, ITV, and Central (I believe those are the 4 standard channels, but please correct me if I'm wrong.)) Anyway, those moments were always special because they were a time to just sit back, relax, and unwind from the activities of the day. They were a time to chat with one another, and share in each other's lives. I really miss those days, and all of those loved ones I used to spend time with, and although I will never be able to get them back, or return to those halcyon days of innocence, I still appreciate the simple joy of sitting down with a hot cup of tea. As we Brits are wont to say, "A hot cup of tea is just the thing!"


-------------------------------------------------------

Flash forward. Our new life in the country. The simple things. Spending quality time with family.

In addition to those mentioned above, I really wish Monica's mom Kim was still around to see our new place, and to spend time with the family hanging out at our "big house in the country." She would have loved this place, especially since it has a lot of things in common with the sprawling farmhouse she spent so many years living in with John. Kim was no stranger to country life, spending years helping run the chicken farm; having cows (and occasionally horses) roaming around in the back fields; listening to the coyotes at night, and wondering if the chickens were safe. She was much more attuned to country life than I am currently, but I'm slowly getting back to the type of person I was when I was growing up. Sure, I still love (and need) my technology, but more than that I have enjoyed just spending time out in the woods, walking trails, breathing in the country air, and just experiencing all the wonderful things that nature has to offer. As Clare mentioned recently in her blog, there is definitely something primal about harvesting an animal (although I didn't kill this one), cleaning and skinning it, and cutting the meat up so that it can be eaten. You can't get more in touch with nature than that. The experience of taking a life (but not needlessly) to sustain life; using the bounty that God has provided us with, and reveling in the simple joys of being part of the cycle of life.

Aside from DVDs, I haven't watched TV in over a month (only partly because we haven't got Dish Network installed yet), and I haven't missed it. I've loved going on walks in the woods with Clare and the kids; driving around and exploring this new area we live in; heading out with my camera to take pictures; and gradually getting back to the outdoors where I spent the vast majority of my childhood. We were brought up with a love for the outdoors, and a respect for all that is has to offer, and although I have no kids of my own, I have enjoyed sharing that love and respect with my family and anyone who cares to step into the woods with me. It's like a homecoming, a rebirth, a return to what I was, and a glimpse of what I will become. I feel the Earth deep inside me, calling to me, beckoning me back into it's welcoming arms, and I intend to embrace it with all the passion that I have to offer. To once again live the good life and enjoy everything that the natural world has to offer...







1 comment:

clare adams said...

i love you matt and wow, i miss them too...i am so glad you are here..feeling better today...are you wroking>