May 12, 2009

A Busy Day Indoors

Today was another wonderful (and cooler) spring day that I spent primarily indoors. This is not by choice, but rather out of necessity. This time of year, the more time I spend outside, the more time I spend suffering with horrible allergies which lead to bronchitis, and can end up putting me in the hospital with a dangerous case of pneumonia or something similar. This is a major nuisance for me, because I LOVE the outdoors, and like to spend as much time outside as possible. I want to be out fishing, and hiking, and taking pictures, and just enjoying the nice weather (in between all the rain we've been having lately), but if I do that, I suffer the consequences (as does Monica, because she has to listen to me snorting, coughing, sneezing and wheezing all night.)

Hence, days like today, where I spent the majority of my time sitting in front of my computer. I went outside to feed the cats, and to check the mail; and I went to put some gas in my car and spend an hour or so at Clare and Josh's place before they went to bed. Other than that, I've been inside all day. That's not to say it was a wasted day though (although I would have much rather been outside.)

I spent today exploring the many uses of Twitter, and modifying my existing Twitter account. I also set up a business networking account, and started following some social networking gurus on there. I looked into writing, editing, and reviewing copy for money, and explored various opportunities to freelance in different areas. I made my presence known on a variety of blogs and other Web sites, and I updated my job hunting blog with a new post and a Twitter updates widget for my new account. Talk about Geek Fest! hehe Hopefully all this legwork will pay off, and I will make some good business connections that I can network my way into a better paying job with.

Speaking of my job, one of my coworkers is a freelance writer, and he asked if I would be interested in an upcoming position as a submissions editor for a horror magazine that has both a print and eZine presence. It's not a paying position unfortunately, but it will get my foot in the door as an editor, I would be mentioned in the magazine as the copy editor (or whatever they call it), and I would get lots of potentially interesting short stories to read as an added bonus.

All of the submissions to the magazine are 2,000 words or less, and they are looking for someone to read the submissions, see if they are print worthy, and if so, what needs to be done to them to get them ready for inclusion in the print or Web versions of the magazine. I'd also be able to submit stories of my own if I wanted to, and possibly get them published in either the digital or print version of the magazine. I believe the print version pays for published works, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, it's something I could do from home in my spare time, and it would keep me entertained. (I'm always looking for a good read.) The position hasn't become available yet, and there's not guarantee I'd get it, but my coworker asked me about it because he and I have been talking about writing and freelancing jobs over the past week or so, and he knew I was looking for additional work. Who knows if anything will come of it, but I'll keep you all posted. :)

Well, I guess that's about it for now. I'm heading to bed shortly because I have to get up at 6:30 AM tomorrow. I open ImPress the next 2 days, then close the following 2 days. Then I have 3 days in a row off. What a wacky schedule! Oh well, it should stabilize somewhat soon.

Thanks for listening to me ramble, and have a great rest of the week everyone. Peace.

No comments: