August 25, 2008

Red Box Rentals

Well, today was another free movie day, thanks to Redbox. If you're not familiar with Redbox, you should check it out. Ours is in the local Wal-Mart, but they have them in various other stores, or so I'm told. They are DVD rental "vending machines." You search the movies that are in the box, add the ones you want to check out to your list, and then swipe your credit/debit card and rent them. They rent for $1 per night, as as long as you have them back before 9 PM the next evening, you'll only pay $1 per movie, plus tax. You don't have the selection of an actual video store, or a service like Net Flix, but hey, you can't beat the price. Well, actually, you can!

Every Monday and Wednesday Redbox sends out a code that allows you to rent 1 video per credit/debit card for free. If you return it before 9 PM the following evening, you'll owe nothing. If you have more than one card, you can rent more than one free movie. So that's what Monica and I have been doing over the past couple of weeks; renting movie after movie, and often watching them 2 or 3 at a time, back to back. So, needless to say, we've seen a LOT of movies lately! I have seen a couple more than Monica, because there were a few she didn't watch. Also, there are one or two movies on my rolling movie list to the right that I actually own, and that weren't rented from Redbox. The majority of them came from Redbox though.

If you have a cell phone that can receive text messages, go to redbox.com, sign up for an account, and you can have the free rental codes sent to you in a text message every Monday and Wednesday. Then you can pass them on to your friends, or whomever, and THEY can get free rentals too (it even says "Fwd to friends" in the text message you receive.)

Anyway, tonight I rented 10,000 B.C., which I just finished watching, and The Other Boleyn Girl, which Monica wanted to see, and which I will probably watch with her later, when she wakes up from her nap (those 5 AM starts at Home Depot on Monday mornings are killer!)

Most of the movies I've seen were pretty good, and some of them were excellent. Of course, some of them were horrible too, but you can't win them all. The point is, 99% of them were free, and even a bad movie isn't so bad if it's free!

So jump online, visit the Redbox Web site, and start renting your own movies for free! I plan to keep adding to my movie list as I watch more movies, and at some point I may start to list the ratings I've personally given them, on this site. If you want to know about any of the movies that are listed, just drop me a message and I'll get back to you. :)

Well, that's about it for now. I'm off to check on Monica. Have a great night, and check back soon to see what's been added. Peace.

No comments: