June 8, 2011

First Time In The Studio

I went to DC4U yesterday and practiced taking some portrait shots in the studio. Amanda, the niece of one of Mason's best friends (if I understand correctly,) was there with Mason's wife and one of his daughters, and Mason asked her to pose and be my model so I could practice taking some shots under controlled lighting situations. That was probably the worst photography session she's EVER had, because I'm not used to posing people, or telling them where and how to stand, and I'm also not used to taking pictures of people who are willingly standing still! Most of the time I'm taking pictures of our nieces, nephews, and other kids in the neighborhood, and they're always running around, making silly faces, and generally being kids. NOT the easiest little monsters to photograph! But it was almost more difficult for me, taking pictures of someone who was actually posing to have their picture taken. It was weird. Still, it was entertaining and informative (for me anyway. I'm sure Amanda was glad to get out of there! lol)

I took several shots, and I have at least one additional picture up on my Facebook page, but I thought I'd post this one here, because it's one of the ones I like best so far. It's simple, and I did very little editing to it. So here it is, one of my first studio portrait attempts.

No comments: