April 20, 2008

A Weekend Outdoors

Okay, so I've been spending a LOT of time inside and on the computer lately (or in front of the TV, watching movies or playing games.) This is not healthy, I know, but it's something to do when I'm alone, and I HAVE been doing a lot of Web design work on the side lately, so it has necessitated long hours in front of the computer.

Anyway, this weekend I decided to renew my fishing license, and spend a little time outdoors since the weather was nice. So yesterday I spent several hours walking around and fishing at Acworth Lake/Cauble Park. As I walked from my car, along the shoreline, I encountered "pockets" of earthy, organic smells that reminded me of England. It would be impossible to explain so anyone else could understand it, but there are just certain sights, sounds and smells that take me back to the country I was born in. The English countryside always seems to have a certain smell to it...the vibrant smell of earth, fresh air, and the various animals that live nearby. It's not always a pleasant smell, but it's a memorable one, and whenever I smell something similar I'm instantly transported back to the country lanes, meadows, and forests of England.

Anyway, I spent a few hours there yesterday, SEEING big fish, but not catching them (the bass are on bed right now, and it's nearly impossible to catch them.) When I came home from fishing, I fired up the grill, and cooked hot dogs and hamburgers. I know, I know...not a healthy way to end a day in the outdoors, but it went with the overall theme of sun and relaxation. ;)

Today I decided that I would take my camera out to the lake and do a little site seeing. I've wanted to photograph some of the hawks that make their nest around the lake by our house, but they weren't around today. I'll have to get them another time. At any rate, I took some pictures of Lake Acworth, started to fish a bit, then decided to head over to Logan Farm Park to take some pictures there, and see if there was any water in the park pond.

When I arrived, there were two girls sitting besides the pond, and surprisingly enough, they were actually fishing! And here I thought I was just about the only one who came to that tiny pond to wet a hook. Anyway, glancing into the mud stained water with my polarized fishing glasses, I could see multiple largemouth bass cruising the shoreline, a similar site to what I'd seen at Lake Acworth. It's really frustrating when you can SEE the fishing, sometimes only a foot or two away from you, but you can't catch them. It's almost enough to make me go home, get my casting net, and come back for a largemouth round-up! So I started walking along the side of the pond opposite from the two girls, not wanting to disturb them or the fish that THEY were after. I moved down to the far end of the pond where I knew a fair number of large fish would be, and started casting my line into the shallow water.

After a while I began to notice an unusual noise, a distinct droning sound coming from somewhere nearby. I thought to myself, "That's odd. That sounds like a large swarm of bees." Looking quickly around me, I suddenly glanced up and was greeted by the site of hundreds, if not thousands, of bees swarming around in the air, circling the tree that was behind me. Now I'm not a big fan of bee stings, and I've seen too many nature show and horror movies where people have been attacked by large swarms of bees, and I had no desire whatsoever to experience what that might be like! So I quickly grabbed all of my gear together, and swiftly moved away from the air, circling around to the other side of the pond. No bees for me, thank you very much!

So then I switched to my ultra-light rod and reel, flipped a rubber dragonfly lure into the water at the pond's edge, and was caught completely off guard as a largemouth bass sucked the slowly sinking lure into its mouth and clamped down on it! For a brief few seconds I had him on the line, my first fishing of the season, but no sooner did I get excited then he spit out the hook and got away! Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.

So after a couple of hours catching nothing but a mild case of sunburn, I decided that I was going to put my fishing stuff up and get the camera back out. So I took some more pictures, and I will now post some of them from Lake Acworth and Logan Farm Park. I took them with a 16:9 ratio for viewing on a wide screen TV, so that's why they are rectangular this time. At any rate, here are some pictures from my day outside today.


View of Lake Acworth from Overlook Park


Distant shot of Acworth Beach from Overlook Park.


Fluffy clouds over the playing field at Logan Farm Park.


Blue skies and white clouds over fields and trees of green.


A spawning largemouth bass in the pond at Logan Farm Park.

No comments: